2022 Smoke Alarm Upgrades
February 26, 2020
Real Estate information
With the upcomming smoke alarm changes fast approaching, landlords will be required by law to install and maintain smoke alarms in your rental property in Queenland. All smoke alarms must be photoelectric, hardwired or 10-year tamper proof battery powered and all interconnected by 31st December 2021.
Smoke alarms must be installed on each storey:
- in each bedroom; and
- in hallways which connect bedrooms and the rest
of the dwelling; or
- if there is no hallway, between the bedrooms and
other parts of the storey; and
- if there are no bedrooms on a storey at least one
smoke alarm must be installed in the most likely
path of travel to exit the dwelling.
You must test and clean each smoke alarm within 30 days before the start of a tenancy agreement.
In addition you must replace, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, each battery in the smokealarm that is flat, or almost flat, within 30 days before the start of a tenancy.
The owner must replace smoke alarms when:
1. They reach 10 years after the date of manufacture; or
2. They do not work (including during a tenancy).
Owner’s requirements can be fulfilled by an agent acting for the owner.